The making of Be Different - Pull Quotes




One of the stylistic things that separates Be Different from Look Me in the Eye is the use of what’s called pull quotes. Pull quotes are passages the editors deemed significant. They copied the quotes in little boxes on the pages in which they appear.

Here are a few of the Be Different pull quotes . . . see if you can imagine their context . . .

It doesn’t mean anything. I felt like I’d been punched in the gut.
p. 11

My differences turned out also to include gifts that set me apart.
p. 18

For me, failure wasn’t permanent state of being.
p.22

Something that seems like a pure disability can actually have components of gift, too.
p. 23

Competence often excuses strange behavior, especially when you get older and have an established reputation.
p. 25

Find life and work settings that minimize your weaknesses, and find your strengths and play to them.
p. 26

I learned to accept the way other people do things even if I’m sure that they are wrong.
p. 28

Rituals become a problem whenever they prevent you from doing the stuff you’re supposed to do, or when they get you in trouble.
p.35

For as long as I can remember, people have commented on my strange names for things. I maintain my names have a sound logical foundation…
p. 40

‘Normal’ often simply means ‘well mannered.’
p. 43

Aspergians like me are notoriously logical and straightforward, and much of the time, manners are neither.
p. 45

I came to understand that I benefited from compliance with the social rules, even when they seem illogical, wasteful and nonsensical.
p. 46

I’m glad my family kept up the fight, trying to train me in manners even if it made no sense at all to me.
p. 46

Why bother? I bothered because I’d learned that having someone to love and cherish was the most important thing in the world
p. 59

After long and careful reflection I concluded that monsters may be real, and I was wise to be wary. Faced with a world of threats, what else is a tyke to do?
p. 63

Comments

Madmother said…
I cannot wait to read this, and then to pass it on to my son. At 13 he reads and comprehends as an adult and is avidly absorbing all he can about living Aspie.

And he has always believed the good far outweighs the bad.
Anonymous said…
I'm sure my incredible daughter in law will read this. I hope she encourages my grandson to read it, too. I don't even know if he has been made aware that his differences have a name.
Mindy said…
I especially like the pull quote from page 25, although I can relate to them all. :)
Unknown said…
Loved this book. Thank you. My 10 year old has the prankster personality since he was able to walk. He was diagnosed at the early age of 3 1/2 thanks to a concerned grandmother and has made amazing strides. We are pretty laid back so the jokes are always welcomed. We give him room to be creative. He has a deep interest in sound (but not mechanics). I saw a lot of similarities while reading this. I am looking forward to giving him this book to read next year. Thank you!

Popular Posts