The best thing about IMFAR 2012




Above:  Descending into Toronto for IMFAR 2012

In my opinion, the best thing about this year’s IMFAR autism science conference was the degree to which the community has become involved.  Four years ago there was hardly a spectrumite to be seen there, geek scientists excepted.   This year we were everywhere.

Just a few years ago, autistic bloggers and writers gazed in from the outside and wondered what was discussed in the IMFAR meetings, and what INSAR (the organization who puts on the conference) really did.  Scientists wondered about the wisdom of admitting the public to what are often highly technical presentations and discussions.  In the absence of openness, conspiracy theory and contempt ran rampant.

Things changed recently, thanks to the INSAR board and the folks on the Community committee.   We have seen more community involvement each of the past three years as we’ve added programming to serve the autism community as well as the researchers.

Autistic artists and entertainers have delighted us with their performances, and their work.  Not only has that made an enjoyable addition to the conference, it’s provided an important humanizing element, especially to younger researchers who may be new to the field.  The arts build community, all round.

I am especially happy to see bloggers and writers from our community of all points of view.  People who might never have spoken to one another now share meals together and become friends, thanks to meetings that take place here.

In their writing and other communications, many new ideas emerge, all with a common theme:  We need to direct our best scientific efforts to alleviate disability, improve quality of life, and create the best possible opportunities for our population.

Some writers are critical while others are laudatory.  I’m pleased to see it all.

Our pre-conference for the community was standing room only, as was the stakeholder luncheon and Q&A.  Attendance at those events has gone up every year.

INSAR and its sponsors have continued to offer scholarships, admission fee waivers, and travel grants to encourage community members to attend.  That’s a great thing, and it’s made possible by the conservative governance of the INSAR organization that generated the financial surplus to pay for benefits like these.

It may surprise you to read that some of the community openness at IMFAR was inspired by the example set by three US government groups:  the IACC, whose meetings are fully open, and NIH and CDC who make more and more of their discussions public as well.  Not only are those events open to the public physically, many are webcast and archived online, something INSAR is doing now as well.

I’m proud to have served on committees for INSAR and the government groups above.  I’ve learned more than I can tell you here and I’m most pleased at the way others have joined me to explore and share what we find with the wider world.

I’ll look forward to an even bigger community presence, next year in Spain.

John Elder Robison
Writing from IMFAR 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Comments

You are definitely one of the instrumental in pushing me to find the courage and words to express myself in the realms of individuals with ASD and parents of children with ASD. Recently, I have become more involved with services in my community on both side, providing and receiving. And, after processing the information I have gathered while at the IMFAR conference, I will be collaborating more with professionals and others with ASD here in NW Pennsylvania-- providing information, support, and advocacy. I would like to say I am offering myself to all of this pretty selflessly, but my mind and heart will always be on my children's best interest first. I look forward to sharing our experiences, especially if it can benefit even one other person. I enjoy reading your thoughts and overviews on some of the seminars and events I missed. There was just so much to attend. I know I will be back tracking across the web these next few days, weeks, and months for more information on presentations and researchers. I am slowly transcribing my own notes and honing my thoughts/opinions about much of my experiences at IMFAR. If anyone is interested, please read. And, get in touch with me if you have some imput, suggestions, etc. I'll try to control myself from thanking you again for opening a door for me the size of Jupiter. http://militiapennsylvania.blogspot.com/
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Hello. I just got home from IMFAR 2012. My mentor and I presented a poster yesterday morning (actually the one on sexuality and autism where we discussed Baron-Cohen's extreme male brain theories). If seems like you happened to see our poster. It's nice to know that there were aspies at IMFAR as well as me.
Sounds like it was a good conference. Glad it all went well. I trust you are home safe, and rested up after your travels. We enjoyed having you in Salem, OR on Thurs. night. Thanks again.
Sparroweye said…
When I worked private duty as caregiver for Alzheimer patients. I noticed many similar quirks in these patients and autistic behavior. But in children it seems to be damage before birth. Then what has damaged Alzh patients. Why do all doctors refuse to take into account my suggestions or idea's. I should know my body better than anyone. I love your blog.

Popular Posts