If you like this blog . . .



I have three others, plus this new book on the way . . .

Some of you may have seen that the "Schedule of Appearances" is no longer on the right sidebar of the main blog. That's because I've moved my schedule of appearances to a blog of its own. You can follow that at http://johnelderrobison.blogspot.com

My car business has a blog at http://robisonservice.blogspot.com Even if you're not really a car person you may like the photography on that blog.

Finally, my Psychology Today blog is http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/my-life-aspergers

I try and keep different content on all three. And for those of you on Facebook, JohnRobison is my personal page, and JohnElderRobison is my "public figure" page.

I started out with this one blog in January of 2007. I opened my Facebook page in the summer of 2008. Last fall, Psychology Today invited me to keep a blog on their site. I didn't want my car business to feel neglected so I started a blog for it, too, at the same time.

I started a separate blog of appearances with the goal of feeding that into my other sites so that I only have to update the schedule in one place. I haven't quite figured out how to do that, but I'm getting there.

I really appreciate all of you who've followed and read this material over the past two and a half years. I have learned so much from you.

Last month, I posted some thoughts about my next book. I've taken your comments to heart, and I am making some revisions to address some of the issues you raised. In particular, I am rethinking these important points:

I'm describing my failures at greater length, because some of you got the impression that success sort of came naturally to me. That's not true, but I may have made it look that way more than I should have.

I have thought more about bullying issues, and I will illustrate them with stories of The Blob and other colorful children from my youth.

Several of you have asked me to give a more balanced portrait of Asperger's as a serious disability, as discussed in recent posts here and on Autism Gadfly. I am going to do that, but this is still a book based on my experiences, and that hasn't always been my life experience. That said, I am going to illustrate the breadth of the spectrum more carefully and completely thanks to your remarks.

I am also thinking more about the dating and relationship questions.

Right now, I have a few friends and some of the people I work with reading the first draft. That will no doubt lead to more revisions. I expect to wrap most of that up this month. As always, your continued comments and thoughts are welcome.

Comments

Unknown said…
Can't wait to read your new book. :)
TeacherK12 said…
Thank you for writing Look Me In The Eye. I have been a teacher for 33 years and taught students with Aspergers. The dry textbook info was helpful in identifying Aspergers by classroom behaviors, but not much more. Your book helped me understand my students and appreciate what they bring to my classroom. I have taught a young man for 2 years in my writing class, this coming year he will be in my 2nd grade homeroom-regular ed. class not special ed. He is so you!-fortunately with great parent support. Daily I laugh or cry regarding his classroom antics. Young children are so tolerant and his peers see him as a very smart classmate who can be very outspoken at times.
He is a very loved child by all who come in contact with him. I look forward to reading your new book!!!
Cheryl Kauffman said…
I'm glad you are writing about bullying. This was a big problem for my daughter her first year of middle school. It is a difficult transition going from elementary school, where kids are more tolerant, to middle school. I loved Look Me In The Eye and will be sure to read your new book.
jess said…
you know, even though i know full well just how much you do, i'm still exhausted just reading through that list!

woof
That is a lot of blogs to manage. I also see you on goodreads and facebook. You are a busy man.

I'm not sure if I ever told you, but I like it when you post personal stuff on here, like your photography. I think you are a talented photographer and I love it when you post your photos here.

The Girl from the Ghetto
http://www.thegirlfromtheghetto.wordpress.com
Anonymous said…
MY SON IS 8 AND WE JUST GOT THE "ASPERGER'S" LABLE. I WAS ON VACATION WHERE I BOUGHT THE BOOK. GOT HOME COULDNT PUT IT DOWN. LOVED IT ANS NOW AM STARTING TO SEE THINGS HOW MY SON IS SEEING THEM. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE UNDERSTANDING I HAVE GOT FROM THIS. I WILL FEED ALL MY SONS INTRESTS IF AT ALL ABLE TO DO SO. I WILL ALSO ALWAYS GIVE HIM THE TIME AND THE CHANCE TO LET US KNOW WHAT HIS VIEW OF WHATEVER THE SITUATION MIGHT BE. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR 3 YEARS ON HOW TO HELP HIM IN SCHOOL WHERE HE HAS THE MOST TROUBLE, AND NOW AFTER THIS BOOK I HAVE A NEW WAY TO HELP THE SCHOOL HELP MY SON, AND THANK GOD THAT I HAVE A GREAT SCHOOL SYSTEM THAT HAS NEVER GAVE UP ON MY CHILD AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN WILLING TO LOOK AT ALL THE OPTIONS THAT WE MAY TRY. I CRIED WHEN I STARTED THE BOOK BEFORE CHAPTER 1 AND I KNEW THEN I WOULD LEARN ALOT. THANKS AGAIN MORE THAN YOU CAN EVER KNOW, FORM A MOM OF 6, AND NOW A MOM WHO IS LEARNING TO BE A ASPIE MOM.
Anonymous said…
MY SON CARMIKAUL IS 8, I JUST GOT THE ASPERGER'S DIAGNOSES. I WAS ON VACATION WENT TO THEBOOK STORE TO FIND WHAT I COULD ON ASPERGER'S AND FOUND YOUR BOOK. I READ THE FIRST FEW PAGES AND BEFORE CHAPTER 1 I WAS CRING, THEN I KNEW THE BOOK WOULD BE GREAT. I STARTED THE BOOK COULDNT PUT IT DOWN. I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH AND I NOW TRY TO LOOK AT THE WORLD THE WAY MY SON DOES. I ASKED MY SON WHO IS ALSO VERY HONEST NO MATTER HOW THINGS MY COME ACROSS, IF SOME OF WHAT I READ IS HOW HE WAS FEELING AND IT ALL HAS MATCHED PERFACTLY.I CAN NOW TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT MY CHILD IS GOING THROUGH. I THOUGHT HE WAS JUST STUBBORN AND BLUNT LIKE ME, AND NOW I KNOW IT IS JUST WHO HE IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE. THIS BOOK HAS GIVIN ME WAYS TO HELP HIM IN SCHOOL WHERE HE STRUGGLES THE MOST, AND THANK GOD I HAVE A GREAT SCHOOL THAT IS WILLING TO WORK WITH HIM HIS DOCTORS AND HIS FAMILY TO PROVIDE WHAT HE REALY NEEDS. WE ARE LEARNING WHAT WE CAN FROM YOU AND WHAT YOU WROTE. I HAVE 6 KIDS IN ALL AND CARMIKAUL IS MY YOUNGEST AND NOW IS MY MOST UNIQUE IN HIS OWN SPECIAL WAY. I ALWAYS THOUGHT I WAS A FAIRLY GOOD MOM AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR MY KIDS, BUT NOW MY CHILD IS TEACHING ME INSTED OF ME TEACHING HIM. I AM NOW LEARNING NOT OLNY HOW TO BE CARMIKAUL'S MOM BUT HOW TO BE AN ASPIE'S MOM.
Unknown said…
I read your book in July. Then my 22 year-old daughter read it. And now my 20 year-old daughter is reading it.

My favorite parts are the pranks. I can't decide which I prefer - the Milton Bradley episode or the Shutesbury incident. :-)
TOI said…
Amanda Baggs Controversy investigatory report.
http://amandabaggscontroversy.blogspot.com/
Laura said…
may I suggest: a spam filter? Just a thought.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed your book very much. In particular, I found YOUR voice and YOUR point of view compelling. While I appreciate the spirit of democracy, I hope you don't contour your opinions to placate those with extreme views. Consciously or unconsciously.
John Robison said…
Laura, I do not get much spam and I tend to leave it because I don't want people to feel I censor their comments, which might happen if that "3300% return on your deposit" post were replaced by "deleted by administrator"

And as to the other . . . the opinions are always my own, but the more people I meet the more my thinking is shaped by broader experience. It's still me, though.
Anonymous said…
John, spam is against the Google TOS. You can get into serious trouble if you don't remove it. Just a polite warning. The Baggs blog ad is dangerous.
I have recently finished your book Look me in the Eye. You referred to a program that you were working on to help teach tone inflection for those who speak in a monotone.
Please keep me posted on this as I would like to refer to it in my updated book, Socially ADDept.
Thanks
Janet Z. Giler
www.addept.org

Popular Posts